Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Mechanical Keyboard:Believe the Hype


If you don't like romances you might just want to skip this one, because I'm in love with my mechanical keyboard.

There's not really a lot more I can actually say about my new Ducky DK9008G2-B.  I've already described the features in my previous article.  The truth is you just have to type on this keyboard to really understand the difference.  I think I end up finding longer ways to say things just so I can type a few more words.  Seriously - it's that good.

The Cherry MX Brown switches are as-advertised.  They require just the right amount of force to push down so that I'm not working too hard but they have nice resistance.  After each keystroke they pop back up ready to go to work again.

The board itself appears solid and quality-built in every way.  It is NOT flashy and I'm glad.  My advice to anyone in the market for a mechanical keyboard is function over form.  Get a standard board built well and I don't think you'll regret it.

In fact, I liked my first Ducky so well, I bought another, less expensive model for work.  This model, the Ducky DK1087-B uses the same Cherry Brown switches and appears to be of the same build quality as the 9008 series, but has no ten key pad.  This is fine for me, and in fact I may use this board for gaming as I don't need the ten key pad much, if ever, on that computer.  This board was about $40 less than the first one I got so while it's not cheap at $98, it's still 30% less than the other model.

Both keyboards can be found on amazon.com and at this point they get my recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment